Slightly nutty in flavor, basmati rice is typically longer in size than other varieties. Toss with your favorite vegetables for a healthy side dish.
- 2 cups basmati rice (quick cook optional)
- 4-5 cups chicken broth (depending on type of rice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- white pepper
- In a large pan, sauté vegetables in olive oil and butter over medium heat until they begin to brown (about 5 min).
- Add rice, chicken broth, garlic powder and a couple pinches of salt and white pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook until rice is tender. (Cooking time depends on type of rice used)
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork, add sea salt and pepper to taste