A secret family recipe!
Nonna Ninetta's Ricotta Ball Hero
- 2 pounds Ricotta cheese
- 1-2 cups Breadcrumbs
- 2 Medium eggs
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 Clove garlic (crushed and finely diced)
- 1/2 cup Grated Italian Cheese (Parmigiano or Locatelli)
- Black Pepper and salt to taste
- Flour for coating
- Olive oil for frying
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce
- 6-8 Hero Rolls
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, gently stir in ricotta, parsley, garlic, black pepper, then add bread crumbs and grated cheese. Stir gently. If too thick, add a little milk. Taste to see if salt is needed.
- Form balls the size of a meatball. Flour,then lightly flatten, then fry to light golden brown. Prepare either a baking pan or a large frying pan with a layer of Marinara sauce. Make sure ricotta balls are at least an inch from each other because they are going to expand. Cover balls with sauce and grated cheese.
- If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. If cooking on stove top, cover pan on low flame, cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- Top hero rolls with ricotta balls, cheese and sauce. Serve warm as a hero sandwich.