An family favorite!
Rigatoni with Meat Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 pound Ground Beef
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 Carrots (small diced)
- 2 ribs of Celery (small diced)
- 1 28- ounce can Whole Plum Tomatoes
- 1 cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 Fresh Bay Leaf
- 6 sprigs Fresh Oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Flat Leaf Italian Parsley (torn)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan (grated)
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 2 pound Rigatoni
- Heat a large saucepan with olive oil. Brown the ground beef with a large pinch of salt. Add garlic to saucepan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots and celery into a food processor and pulse to finely chop vegetable. Add vegetable mix to pan and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with red wine. Add in the tomatoes, breaking them up as you stir them and bring to a simmer. Add the bay leaf and oregano and taste for seasoning. You may want to add a little salt here. Simmer for about 2 hours, skimming off any excess fat that comes to the top.
- Once the sauce is done, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the rigatoni in and cook until al dente. Remove from the water with a spider or slotted spoon and add to the sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add a little bit of your pasta water.
- Remove from the heat and stir in parsley, parmesan, butter and a drizzle of olive oil and serve immediately.