Creamy Italian rice studded with an array of flavorful mushrooms.
Risotto with Mushrooms and Vin Santo
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 medium Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 8 ounces Porcini (sliced)
- 8 ounces Shitake Mushrooms (stems removed; caps sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio Rice
- 8 cups Chicken Stock (heated until hot)
- 1 cup Vin Santo
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium just before smoking. Add onion and cook until softened and translucent but not browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned. Add the rice and stir until thoroughly coated and opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Add a 4 to 6 ounces ladleful of the stock and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue stirring and adding the stock a ladleful at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed each time before adding more, until the rice is tender and creamy but still al dente, about 18 minutes.
- Add the vin santo and cook until the alcohol smell is gone, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the butter and Parmigiano, and stir vigorously for 25 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.