This sandwich has it all - a tangy garlic aioli, a sweet onion jam and a meaty center. Bite in and enjoy!
Roast Beef Florentine Panini
- For the Panini:
- 1/4 pound Sliced rare roast beef
- 1/3 cup Fresh baby spinach
- 4- 1/2 ounce slices of room temperature brie cheese
- 2 tablespoons Diced roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Caramelized Vidalia Onion jam
- 2 tablespoon Thyme garlic aioli
- 1 Soft onion roll (or pocketless pita)
- For the Garlic Aioli:
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Coarse salt
- 1 Egg yolk
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 cup Blended olive oil
- 2 Sprigs of thyme
- 1 tablespoon Water (if needed)
- For the Caramelized Vidalia Onion Jam:
- 3 pounds Vidalia onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Salt (divided)
- 3 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 cup Brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon Red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Red wine
- 1 cup Apple jelly
- For the Garlic Aioli: Pounding 2 garlic cloves and a pinch of coarse sea salt with a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer to bowl and add 1 egg yolk and juice from 1/2 lemon. Whisk together in a bowl then slowly add in 1 cup olive oil (blend of extra virgin and pure) until thickened, adjust with water if needed.
- Stir in the leaves of two sprigs of fresh thyme. Adjust seasoning and herbs as needed.
- For the Onion Jam: Add 3 tablespoons canola oil to stock pot to coat bottom. Add sliced onions and toss to coat with oil. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the bottom layer begins to slowly brown. Stir only after onions have begun to brown but before they stick and burn.
- Add half the salt and half the brown sugar at this time, stir and allow to cook for approximately 1 hour, stirring only after onions begin to brown on bottom but taking care not to allow them to burn. Using a metal spatula will allow onion bits stuck to the pot to be freed so as not to promote burning. Onions should reduce in volume by half.
- Add remaining ingredients plus remaining brown sugar and salt (to taste). Stir to distribute the added ingredients and increase heat to medium high, stirring frequently until onion jam thickens. Allow to cool to room temp and store refrigerated in air tight container for two weeks.
- For the Sandwich: Spread aioli on both slices of bread. Begin to build sandwich with 2 slices of brie, spinach, roast beef, diced roasted red peppers, caramelized onion jam, remaining brie then top with second piece of aioli coated bread.
- Lightly brush butter on Panini grill and top of sandwich. Place sandwich on buttered Panini press and grill sandwich until crunchy and browned.
Serve with fresh refrigerator dill pickles.