A great dinner party dish!
Roast Leg of Lamb with Minted Peas
- 5 lb Leg of Lamb
- For the Marinade:
- 1 bunch Thyme (leaves only)
- 1 bunch Parsley (leaves only)
- 1 head Garlic (cloves broken apart)
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Zest
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To Serve:
- 1 lb Peas (shelled)
- 6 Mint Leaves (torn)
- 2 Green Onion (sliced thinly)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Peel half of the cloves of garlic. Reserve the rest. Combine the peeled cloves of garlic, the parsley, thyme, lemon zest, and olive oil in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Trim the fat off of the leg. Season on all sides generously with salt and pepper. Rub the herb mixture all over. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Transfer the lamb to a roasting rack. Place into preheated oven, then turn down the temperature to 325F, and roast for 4 hours, or until meat is easily pulled apart with a fork.
- While roast rests, prepare the peas.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add the green onions, and saute until soft. Add the peas and a punch of salt and enough water to barely cover the peas. Turn up heat to high, cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes, then add the mint leaves. Cook until peas are tender.
- Serve the lamb and peas with mashed potatoes.