Roasted Pork with Squash
Michael Lomonaco's Roast Loin of Pork with Chili Pomegranate Glaze
- For the Roast Loin of Pork with Chili Pomegranate Glaze:
- 4-4 1/2 pound Bone-In Center-Cut Pork Loin (chin bone cracked; tied if possible)
- 2 quarts Water
- 1/3 cup Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons ground Cumin Seed
- 2 cups Pomegranate Juice
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons Ancho Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 Garlic clove (finely chopped)
- Coarse Salt and fresh ground Pepper
For the Maple Glazed Acorn Squash:
- 4 Acorn Squash
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 4 tablespoons Pine Nuts
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 2-3 Cinnamon Sticks
- For Brining: Combine water and kosher salt in a saucepan and heat over high heat, stirring, until water boils and salt dissolves. Pour brine into a clean pot large and cool to room temperature, uncovered, about 2 hours. Place pork cold brine, making sure it is completely covered and brine, covered and refrigerated for 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- For the Roast Loin of Pork with Chili Pomegranate Glaze: Remove the pork loin from the brine, discard brine and paper-towel dry pork loin.
- Brush the pork loin with olive oil, season with ground cumin, salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan. Put the roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven and begin roasting the pork at high heat for 20 minutes before turning the heat down to 350 °F to continue roasting.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine the pomegranate juice, honey, ancho chili, smoked paprika, and garlic. Bring the ingredients to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes before removing from the heat. May be prepared in advance.
- While the pork continues to roast begin basting the pork loin with the pomegranate glaze, basting at frequent intervals to create a rich glaze, continuing to cook the roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 150°, or about 1 -1\2 - 2 hours. Remove the roast from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Remove any butcher twine if roast has been tied.
- Serve the roast, by carving at the table, with acorn squash on the side.
- For the Maple Glazed Acorn Squash: Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash outer skin of acorn squash, cut through from top to bottom and split each acorn squash into 6 pieces, place cut side down on baking sheet with a little water on the bottom, place into hot oven and bake till tender when pierced, about 35 minutes. Remove and cool slightly.
- In a small saucepan heat butter, syrup, pine nuts, raisins and cinnamon over low heat to combine.
- Turn cooled squash over onto the skin side, drizzle with maple syrup glaze and return to the oven for 10 minutes to caramelize. Remove and serve hot.