The perfect fall salad!
Roasted Autumn Vegetables
- 4 small carrots (halved lengthwise)
- 3 shallots (halved)
- 1 butternut squash (halved and seeded and then cut in 1/2-inch slices)
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts (halved)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried black lentils (rinsed)
- 1/2 onion (studded with 4 cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound arugula
- 2 Celery Stalks (thinly sliced)
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/3 Parmigiano (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots, shallots, squash, brussels sprouts, and garlic. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper, toss to coat. Pour vegetables onto a sheet tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing once, halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lentils by putting them into a small saucepan and covering with water by 2 inches. Add the onion and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and discard the onion, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Once the vegetables are finished roasting, remove the garlic. Peel and mash the garlic in a medium bowl, combine with the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and dijon mustard and whisk into a vinaigrette. Toss the lentils with the vinaigrette, fold in the arugula leaves. In a large bowl, roasted vegetables with fresh celery, lemon juice and zest.
- Serve vegetables over dressed lentils. Garnish with Parmigiano.