Grilled Cheese with Cauliflower
Daphne Oz's Roasted Cauliflower Grilled Cheese
- 1 medium Onion (sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds)
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 small head of Cauliflower (sliced into flat 3/8-inch-thick pieces)
- Sea Salt and fresh-cracked Black Pepper
- 2 slices Whole-Grain Bread
- 2 ounces Aged Cheddar Cheese (shredded; about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon Butter
For the Ketchup Butter:
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Add the onion and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil to a medium saute and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened and caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes. (You'll have about 1/2 cup of onion.)
- Gently toss the cauliflower pieces with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and spread the cauliflower in a flat layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Use a rubber spatula to flip the cauliflower, then roast another 5 minutes, or until golden brown, watching carefully to make sure the pieces don't burn.
- For the Ketchup Butter: Combine all the butter and ketchup in a bowl and mix well until incorporated. Spread both slices of bread with ketchup butter. Layer 1 slice with caramelized onions, roasted cauliflower and shredded cheese. Top with the other slice of bread. Add the butter to the pan used to caramelize the onion, heat the pan over medium-low heat, and add the sandwich (the bread closest to the cheese layer should be on the bottom). Cook the sandwich for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese is melting, applying pressure to the top of the sandwich with your spatula or a weighted plate. Flip sandwich and brown the other side, about 3 or 4 minutes. Slice the sandwich in half before serving.