Chicken and Vegetables
Michael Symon's Roasted Chicken with Squash "Spaghetti"
- 1 Whole Chicken (about 5 to 6 pounds)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Seeds (toasted)
- 1 Orange (thinly sliced and seeded)
- 2 fresh Bay Leaves
- 1 small Onion (peeled)
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 small bunch fresh Thyme
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Zucchini (julienned lengthwise on a mandolin)
- 1 Yellow Squash (julienned lengthwise on a mandolin)
- 1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese (freshly shaved)
- 1 Lemon (juice only)
- 1 Orange (zest and juice)
- 1/3 cup fresh Dill (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Hazelnuts (toasted and coarsely chopped
- Season the chicken inside and out with salt and refrigerate overnight. The next day, remove from the fridge and let the chicken come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Loosen the skin on each chicken breast, and wedge 1 to 2 orange slices and a bay leaf between. Put the onion, garlic, thyme, and remaining orange in the cavity of the chicken and around it in the roasting pan. Rub the entire chicken liberally with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and coriander seeds.
- Put the chicken in an ovenproof sauté pan or in a roasting pan breast side up, slide it into the oven, and roast it until it reaches 160 degrees F or until the cavity juices run clear, about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from the oven to rest while you make your “spaghetti”.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, orange zest and juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, chopped dill and a pinch of salt.
- Add the julienned squash to the vinaigrette and let sit for a few minutes, until the squash begins to wilt slightly and absorb some of the vinaigrette. Next add the toasted hazelnuts and pecorino.
- To serve, quarter the chicken and serve a top or alongside the “spaghetti”.
Similar categories: Dinner