Lemony Chicken Soup with Farro
Daphne Oz's Roasted Garlic and Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 cups Farro (rinsed)
- 2 heads Garlic
- Olive Oil
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 medium Carrots (peeled and sliced into coins)
- 1 Jalapeno (thinly sliced)
- 1- inch piece fresh Ginger (peeled and minced)
- 2 cups leftover shredded Chicken
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- Cook farro according to package instructions and set aside. This can be done a few days in advance and stored in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut garlic bulbs crosswise to removed the tops and expose cloves. Place the cut bulbs on a large piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Gather the edges of the aluminum and press together to completely encapsulate the garlic. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove garlic from oven and carefully open up package. Garlic cloves should be soft and golden. Squeeze out the softened cloves from the bulb, discarding skins. Blend garlic into the broth using an immersion blender or traditional blender. Set aside.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté the onion and carrots, seasoning with salt, until soft and translucent. Add sliced jalapenos and cook for 2 minutes or until soft. Stir in ginger and cook just until fragrant.
- Stir in the garlicky chicken broth and parsley. Add cooked farro, shredded chicken, and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve warm.