Cook up this simple and tasty side dish in no time!
Roasted Shallots in a Vinegar-Thyme Bath
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 pound fresh shallots (peeled but left whole with roots intact)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450 Deg F. Heat the oil and butter in a 14-inch ovenproof saute pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and the sugar, and toss well to coat. Cook, stirring regularly, until the shallots turn light golden brown, 8 minutes.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast the shallots for 20 minutes, until they can be easily pierced with a paring knife.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it over medium-low heat. Add the kosher salt, pepper, and thyme leaves, and allow to sizzle for a second. Then add the vinegar and toss quickly to coat. When the vinegar is reduced to just a glaze, pour the shallots and glaze into a warmed shallow bowl, and serve hot.