Sausage and Vegetable Side
Nancy Fuller Ginsberg's Root Vegetable Bake
- 1 1/2 pounds Spicy Sausage (casing removed)
- 2 Parsnips (peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks)
- 1 Rutabaga (peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks)
- 1 Butternut Squash (peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks)
- 2 Golden Beets (peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks)
- 1 Sweet Potato (peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks)
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 1/2 cups Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Apple (peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks)
- 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a large saute pan, cook sausage over medium heat, rendering fat. Remove sausage from from pan and discard fat.
- Spread cut vegetables onto a lightly oiled baking sheet in one layer. Use two baking sheets if needed. Bake for 20 minutes but still firm. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour to form a paste. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly golden. Whisk in the wine breaking up lumps and cook for 1 minute. Stir in stock and milk and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minute. Add 2 cups cheese, remove from heat and stir to melt.
- Combine the sausage, vegetables and fruit in a baking dish and pour cheese sauce over top. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!