Allison Fishman's Salmon Burgers with Pickled Cucumbers
Light on calories but not on flavor!
This salmon burger has everything you like about a traditional burger without all the calories. Give it a try.
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 24 thin English cucumber slices
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 pound skinless wild fresh or frozen Alaskan salmon fillet (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1 large egg white
Salmon Burgers with Pickled Cucumbers
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
24 thin English cucumber slices
In a small saucepan combine water, cider vinegar, sugar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the ginger, and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add cucumber slices. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 pound skinless wild fresh or frozen Alaskan salmon fillet (finely chopped)
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
Combine panko, green onions, cilantro, soy sauce, remaining ginger, lime rind, egg and salmon in a bowl, and stir well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal potions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in the center of each patty.
1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add sesame oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add patties and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Brush tops of patties evenly with hoisin and continue cooking for 30 seconds.
4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds (toasted)
Place one patty on bottom half of each bun. Top each patty with 6 cucumber slices and top half of bun.