A savory bread pudding, perfect for Mother's Day!
Sausage and Cheddar Bread Pudding
- 1/2 pound Cheddar (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 pound Breakfast Sausage (removed from casings)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 Day-Old Pullman Loaf
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Butter (divided)
- 1/2 bunch parsley leaves only (chopped)
- In a sauté pan over medium high heat, add the sausage and cook until it has browned and the fat has rendered, adding a tablespoon of butter if necessary to start. Remove sausage from pan, leaving the fat, then add the onion and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes, adding a tablespoon of butter if necessary. Season and set both aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and parsley.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cooled sausage and onion, the cubes of bread, the cheese and the milk mixture.
- Grease a casserole dish with butter. Scrape all of the sausage and bread mixture into the casserole. Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and liquid has fluffed and absorbed.