Ciabatta Stuffing with Fennel Sausage, Onion, and Chestnuts
Mario Batali's Sausage Ciabatta Stuffing
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 pound Fennel Sausage (casings removed)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 bulb Fennel (thinly sliced; fronds reserved)
- 1 cup Chestnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 Apple (peeled and diced)
- 5 cups Ciabatta (cubed and toasted)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Italian Parsley (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup melted Butter
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and then crumble the sausage into the pan and cook until fat begins to render and sausage begin to crisp.
- Add the onion, fennel, chestnuts, apples, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is and cooked through.
- In a large bowl, place the cubed bread and pour the cooked sausage mixture over top. Sprinkle with parsley, and pour the stock and butter over the top and toss to combine.
- Spoon mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, uncover, and bake until top is golden and crisp. Serve garnished with the fennel fronds.