Deep Dish Pizza
Michael Symon's Sausage, Pepper and Onion Pizza Pie
- Store-bought Pie Dough
- Bench Flour (for dusting)
For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage (removed from the casing)
- 1 small Yellow Onion (sliced thinly)
- 2 small Red Bell Peppers (sliced thinly)
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- pinch Chili Flakes
- your favorite Tomato Sauce
- 8 ounces shredded Mozarella
- 8 ounces grated Parmesean
- 8 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Basil Leaves (torn)
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
- 1 Egg Yolk whisked with 1 tablespoon Water and 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- For the Filling: Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil and the sausage. Brown the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks, then remove it from the pan and set it aside in a mixing bowl.
- In the same pan, add the onions and peppers with a big pinch of salt and cook until the vegetables start to break down. Add the garlic and the chili flakes and cook for a minute longer. Add the pepper and onion mixture to the bowl with the sausage. Mix together and allow to cool. Once the filling has cooled, mix in the mozzarella, parmesan, and basil.
- To make the pie, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a 8-inch cast iron pan. Preheat the pan over medium heat while you roll out dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into large rounds, larger than the pan. Fit the dough into the cast iron pan and carefully press into edges. Spoon some tomato sauce on to the dough, spreading it evenly, and top with the filling. Sprinkle the cheeses over the filling. Place the other piece of dough over the top and flute the edges to seal. Score the top and brush with egg wash and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake pie for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before serving and eating.