Store-bought pizza dough is your secret weapon when it comes to homemade pretzels.
Sausage Stuffed Pretzels
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Hot Italian Sausage (removed from casing)
- 2 tablespoon German Mustard
- 12 ounces Pizza Dough
- 1 cup boiling Water
- 4 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Egg (whisked in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon Beer)
- Flaky Sea Salt
- In sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the sausage, and cook, gradually increasing the heat, crisping the sausage until the fat is rendered and the sausage is dark and crisp. Remove from pan, allow to cool, and stir in the mustard.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and ready a baking sheet with an oiled piece of parchment paper. In a bowl, combine the baking soda and boiling water and stir to dissolve
- Cut the pizza dough into two equally sized balls. Stretch out each of the balls of dough into a dowel approximately 2 1/2 feet long. Roll out lightly until 3 inches wide, press lightly with fingers to flatten, and spread the sausage in a thin line along the edge of the dough closest to you. Roll up the dough away from yourself, and then shape into a pretzel. Baste with the hot water mixture, and then brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Carefully arrange the pretzels on the oiled parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes or until firm and golden. Allow to cool slightly before serving.