Mario Batali's Sauteed Cipolline Onions
- Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Sweet Butter
- 2 pounds Cipolline Onions (peeled and roots trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh Thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup Sherry
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
For the Special:
- 1/2 cup Robiolina Cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- For the Spectacular:
- White Truffles (shaved and very finely grated)
- Heat a large skillet oven medium-high with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add onions, and season with salt. Sprinkle the onions all over with sugar. Cook, undisturbed for one minute, and then add the butter, continuing to cook until the onions begin to develop deep caramelization. Flip the onions, and cook for one minute, and then add the thyme, followed by the sherry. Cook for 10 minutes or until onions are lightly deeply caramelized and. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- For the Special: Stir in the Robiolina and Parmigiano-Reggiano off of the heat.
- For the Spectacular: Shave truffles over the onions, and then sprinkle the truffles with salt.