Sea Scallops with Capers, Garlic and Cauliflower
Michael Symon's Scallops with Slow-Roasted Cauliflower Steak
- 1 pound Dry Sea Scallops (approximately 16)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 small Head Cauliflower (cut into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 1 teaspoon White Anchovy (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Capers (rinsed)
- 1 Garlic clove(minced)
- 1 small Shallot (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 Lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 Orange (juice and zest)
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts (toasted)
- 1/4 cup fresh Parsley (leaves only)
- Preheat your broiler to high with a rack positioned 6 inches below heat.
- In a large saute pan, add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Once very hot, arrange the cauliflower in the pan and sauté until it begins to caramelize, about a minute. Season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer pan to oven under the broiler and cook until browned on the top, about 4 to 5 minutes, being mindful not to burn.
- Make your vinaigrette: Combine the anchovy, capers, shallot, garlic, honey and lemon and orange juice and zest. Whisk in a few tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Place a large sauté pan over high heat. Remove the small side muscle from the scallops and pat them dry with paper towels. Season on both sides with kosher salt. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the scallops, with enough space in between to allow browning. Sear without moving them for about 1 to1/2 minutes on the first side. There should be a golden brown crust, while the scallop is still translucent throughout. Turn the heat off and flip while you finish the cauliflower.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and arrange on plates or a platter with the scallops. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish with pine nuts and parsley. Serve alongside the scallops and serve immediately.
Similar categories: Dinner