Meatloaf with Spanish Flare
Mercedes Gonzalez's See Me Not Meatloaf
- For the Meatloaf:
- 3/4 pound ground Pork
- 3/4 pound ground Veal
- 3/4 pound ground Beef
- 2 tablespoons Sofrito Mix
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pinch ground Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- Ketchup to cover meatloaf
- Hot Water
For the Sofrito:
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 large White Onions (quartered)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (stems; seeds; and ribs removed)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (stems; seeds; and ribs removed)
- 6 Garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 bunch fresh Cilantro (leaves and stems roughly chopped)
- For the Meatloaf: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl gently mix meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper, garlic. Once combined mix in the cooled sofrito. Shape mixture into a loaf on the prepared baking sheet. Spread ketchup on the top of the loaf and place in preheated oven.
- Put heated water in an oven-proof bowl. Place in oven on a lower rack. Cook for approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- For the Sofrito: Coarsely puree all the ingredients in a food processor. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add mixture and cook until most of the moisture has cooked off and the sofrito is golden brown in color, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.