This decadent dessert takes a commitment, but it's just layer upon layer of yumminess. Want to reward yourself with something? This is the treat for you.
Seven Layer Napoleon
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 9 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Milk Chocolate Mousse:
- 2 cups heavy cream (chilled)
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups crisped rice cereal
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- A piece of dark chocolate (to shave)
- A piece of white chocolate (to shave)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Flourless Chocolate Cake: Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Let chocolate mixture cool. (Alternatively, chocolate and butter may be melted in the microwave. Be careful not to overheat and burn it.)
- In a mixer, with the balloon whip attachment, whisk eggs and sugar until thickened and lemon-colored; blend in vanilla. Sift flour and salt together and fold in; blend in chocolate mixture on low speed. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Dust baking sheets with flour mixed with cocoa powder.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are cooked and the middle is just set. Let cool and set aside.
- For Milk Chocolate Mousse:
- In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 3/4 cup of the cream until hot. Pour over chocolate chips in a bowl and whisk until chips have melted.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a metal bowl until combined and then add the hot stream in a very slow stream, whisking until all combined. Transfer back to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat while stirring constantly. Cook until it coats back of spoon. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve and stir in the vanilla. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat the 1 1/4 cup cream remaining until stiff peaks form. Whisk a portion of the whipped cream into the chocolate custard and then gently fold in the remainder until fully incorporated. Transfer to piping bag. Set aside.
- For Marshmallow Rice Round:
- Combine crisped rice cereal and marshmallow fluff in a bowl, and fold until mixed. Press into a sheetpan until a 1/2-inch thick. Set aside.
- For Whipped Cream:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat the cream, sugar, and vanilla remaining until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside.
- Shaved Chocolate:
- Shave white and milk chocolate and set aside.
- For Assemby:
- Cut the flourless cake with 3-inch ring mold into individual cakes. Keep the cake in the bottom of the ring mold and place on a plate.
- Pipe milk chocolate mousse in an even 1/2-inch layer on top of the cake.
- Cut the marshmallow rice with a 3-inch ring mold. Place on top of the mousse layer.
- Pipe another 1/2-inch layer of milk chocolate mousse on top of the marshmallow rice layer.
- Freeze for one hour. Remove from mold and place on dessert plate.
- Take a small amount of mousse and dab in the center of the plate. Drag small offset spatula or spoon in one direction away from the center of plate to smear a brushstroke of mousse. Place frozen cake over the center of the plate. Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate to serve.
- 1. Remove the frozen napoleon from the ring mold by placing it on top of a glass smaller than the ring mold. Then, push through the glass and remove napoleon to dessert plate.
- 2. If you don't have a ring mold, use an empty can or make one out of tin foil.