This decadent dessert takes a commitment, but it's just layer upon layer of yumminess. Want to reward yourself with something? This is the treat for you.
Seven Layer Napoleon
- For the Chocolate Cake:
- 12 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups Butter
- 9 large Eggs
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- For the Milk Chocolate Mousse:
- 2 cups Cream (cold)
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 6 ounces Milk Chocolate Chips
- pinch of Salt
For the Marshmallow Rice:
- 4 cups Crisped Rice Cereal
- 2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- A piece of Dark Chocolate (to shave)
- A piece of White Chocolate (to shave)
- 2 cups Cream
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- For the Chocolate Cake: In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Let chocolate mixture cool. (Alternatively, chocolate and butter may be melted in the microwave. Be careful not to overheat and burn it.)
- In a mixer, with the balloon whip attachment, whisk eggs and sugar until thickened and lemon-colored; blend in vanilla. Sift flour and salt together and fold in; blend in chocolate mixture on low speed. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Dust baking sheets with flour mixed with cocoa powder. Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are cooked and the middle is just set. Let cool and set aside.
- For the Milk Chocolate Mousse: In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 3/4 cup of the cream until hot. Pour over chocolate chips in a bowl and whisk until chips have melted.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a metal bowl until combined and then add the hot stream in a very slow stream, whisking until all combined. Transfer back to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat while stirring constantly. Cook until it coats back of spoon. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve and stir in the vanilla. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat the 1 1/4 cup cream remaining until stiff peaks form. Whisk a portion of the whipped cream into the chocolate custard and then gently fold in the remainder until fully incorporated. Transfer to piping bag. Set aside.
- For the Marshmallow Rice Layer: Combine crisped rice cereal and marshmallow fluff in a bowl, and fold until mixed. Press into a sheetpan until a 1/2-inch thick. Set aside.
- For the Whipped Cream: In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat the cream, sugar, and vanilla remaining until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside.
- For the shaved chocolate: Shave white and milk chocolate and set aside.
- For Assembly: Cut the flourless cake with 3-inch ring mold into individual cakes.
- Pipe milk chocolate mousse.
- Cut the marshmallow rice with a 3-inch ring mold into individual cakes. Pipe another layer of milk chocolate mousse. Freeze for one hour.
- Take a small amount of mousse and dab in the center of the plate. Drag small offset spatula or spoon in one direction away from the center of plate to smear a brushstroke of mousse. Place frozen cake over the center of the plate. Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate to serve.