An eight layer take on the classic Irish dish!
Carla and Clinton's Shepherd's Pie
- 2 tablespoons Butter
For the Potato Layer:
- 2 Russet Potatoes (peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick on mandolin)
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
For the Meat Layer:
- 1 pound ground Lamb
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (sliced thinly)
- Salt and Pepper
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup Stout Beer
For the Pastry:
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry (cut to fit a 9x13 casserole)
For the Peas and Carrots:
- 2 cups frozen Peas
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 pound Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 tablespoons Butter (cut into tablespoon-sized pieces)
For the Cheese:
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese (grated)
For the Fried Onions:
- 1 Onion (sliced paper-thin on a Mandolin)
- 1 cup Olive or Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (to grease pan)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the casserole dish with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- For the Potato Layer: Arrange the thinly sliced potatoes on the bottom of the casserole and season with salt and pepper.
- For the Meat Layer: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the ground lamb, and cook, breaking up, until browned, about ten minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the sliced potatoes in the casserole pan.
- For the Cheese Sauce: Heat the butter in a saucepot over medium heat.
- Add the flour and and beer and whisk together.
- Add milk and keep whisking until all is integrated.
- Add the cheese to the beer mixture and keep whisking until sauce is smooth. Pour over the ground lamb layer in the casserole.
- For the Pastry: Cut the puff pastry to fit the 9x13-inch casserole.
- Dock the puff pastry by piercing with holes all over.
- Bake on a greased sheetpan until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Place on top of cheddar and beer sauce layer.
- For the Peas and Carrots: Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, season with salt and pepper, and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the peas, cook another 5 minutes. Pour over the puff pastry.
- For the Mashed Potatoes: Combine peeled, cubed potatoes with 6 quarts of water in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain water, add the butter and cream, and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Spread over the carrots and peas in the casserole.
- For the Cheese: Sprinkle the cheese in an even layer over the mashed potatoes. Bake casserole until cheese has melted, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the Fried Onions: Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, bring the oil to medium heat. Add the onions, fry until crisp. Transfer to papertowel lined plate.
- Top the casserole with the fried onions.