Fried Shrimp Pockets
Clinton Kelly's Shrimp Toasts
- 1/2 pound Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tablespoon grated Ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Mirin
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 1 large Egg White
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Cilantro
- 2 Scallions (finely chopped)
- 6 slices firm White Sandwich Bread (cut into 1 1/2-inch rounds; 24 total)
- 6 cups Vegetable Oil for frying
- Preheat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 360F.
- Combine the shrimp, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin, and egg white in a food processor and pulse until a coarse puree. Transfer to a bowl, and fold in the cilantro, scallions, sesame seeds, and season with salt.
- Spread a spoonful of the mixture on the bread rounds, about a tablespoon on each piece of bread. Fry the rounds, shrimp side down, for about 2 minutes, then flip and fry an additional 30 seconds. Transfer to paper towels to drain.