Sam Kass, personal chef to the Obama family, shared this recipe with The Chew crew. This is an Obama favorite - why don't you give it a try and see if you feel the same?
Grilled Steak with Pablano Sauce and Sauteed Spinach
- 2 Lb steak
- 5-6 pablanos peppers
- 2 Tablespoon red onion (finely diced)
- 1-2 lemons (juice and zest)
- 1/2 Teaspoon honey
- 4 Tablespoon cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 4 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Teaspoon ancho chili powder
- Sauteed Spinach:
- 1 Lb Fresh spinach
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- Touch of honey
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Place pablanos directly on stove burner to char peppers until completely black, remove and cool.
- Cut peppers lengthwise and remove charred skin with the back of a knife, and remove seeds. Dice small and place half of the pepper in a blender with olive oil and half of the lemon juice and puree for 20 seconds and place in a bowl. Add remaining diced pablanos, red onion, lemon zest and remaining juice (if desired), honey, cilantro and salt and pepper. Mix to combine and taste for seasoning. Set aside for finished plate.
- Lightly coast steak with olive oil. Season each side with smoked paprika, cayenne, chili powder, salt and pepper. Sear on hot grill until there is good color on the meat, about 3-4 minutes per side. Once cooked remove from heat and let rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
- For Spinach: Heat olive oil in large saute pan. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add spinach and toss. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 1 minutes. Finish spinach with lemon juice and zest and honey.
- To serve, plate spinach and top with sliced steak. Top steak with pablano sauce and serve.
Similar categories: Dinner