Fried Tortillas with Steak and Beans
Mario Batali's Skirt Steak Tostada
- 1 1/2 pounds Skirt Steak
- 2 teaspoons ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- Olive Oil
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup Refried Beans (warmed)
- 1 Tomato (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 Small White Onion (diced)
- 1/3 cup Pepperoncini (chopped)
- 2 cups Iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 1 Avocado (sliced)
- 6 ounces Queso Fresco (crumbled)
- Cilantro leaves (to serve)
- sliced Jalapeno (to serve)
- Lime wedges (to serve)
- Hot Sauce (to serve)
- Preheat a grill pan or grill. Season the steak with salt on both sides. In a small bowl, mix together the black pepper, cumin, paprika, white pepper, and cayenne. Rub all over the steak, drizzle with olive oil and place on the grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or longer for desired doneness. Remove steak from grill and allow to rest.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high with a few tablespoons of oil. Once almost smoking, begin to fry the tortillas for 30 seconds to a minute, until crispy. Work in batches to achieve even crispness. Remove from oil to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the diced tomato, onion and pepperoncini. Slice the steak and begin to assemble the tostadas.
- Lay a fried tortilla on a plate and spread a layer of refried bean on top. Lay a few pieces of steak on top and follow with lettuce, fresh salsa, avocado, jalapeno, cheese and garnish with cilantro, hot sauce, and lime as desired. Enjoy!