Mario once showcased his son Leo's Sloppy Joe recipe (you can find it here) and it proved so popular, we've revived it. But with a twist. Mario added some jalapenos and beer to give it some extra flavor. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Sloppy Joes With a New Twist
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground round
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 hamburger rolls
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- 1/2 12 oz beer
- Pico De Gallo:
- 3 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (minced)
- ½ red onion (minced)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- To make Pico De Gallo, mix tomatoes, jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt & pepper together.
- Place a skillet over medium high heat and let it get hot for about a minute.
- Add the oil and spread it so it covers the bottom of the pan. Add onion and jalapeno.
- Add the ground round and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until all the pink is gone (about 15 minutes).
- Add the sugar, tomato paste and beer and combine.
- When the liquid starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep the bottom from scorching.
- Open the roll or arrange the white bread on a plate. Spoon the meat mixture over it, top with a spoonful of pico de gallo and serve.