Roasted Salmon with Pesto and Avocado Salad
Michael Symon's Slow-Roasted Salmon
- For the Salmon:
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Seed
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 Orange (juiced)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 side of Salmon (skinned and deboned)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the Almond Basil Pesto:
- 1/2 cup Blanched Almonds (lightly toasted)
- 1 bunch Basil (leaves torn)
- 2 Garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus more if needed)
- Salt and Pepper
For the Avocado Salad:
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Orange (juice and zest)
- 2 tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
- 1/2 Shallot (sliced thinly)
- 2 Avocados (diced)
- 1 Fresno Chili (minced)
- For the Salmon: Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- In a small sauce pot toast the coriander seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the honey, orange juice, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until thick and reduced by half.
- Season the salmon with salt pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and brush with the honey glaze. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes for medium rare, slightly opaque in the middle. Cook longer for a more well-done piece of salmon. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Smear the salmon with the pesto and top with the avocado salad.
- For the Almond Basil Pesto: Combine the first 3 ingredients in a food processor with salt and pepper. Begin to processor and slowly drizzle in the oil. Stop and taste to adjust seasoning. Pesto should be thick but spreadable. Process with more oil or more basil to adjust consistency.
- For the Avocado Salad: In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice and zest, vinegar, olive oil, shallot, salt and pepper. Toss in the avocado and fresno to coat. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Similar categories: Dinner