Tanya Holland's Smoked BBQ Chicken Legs
- 6-8 Whole Bone-In Chicken Legs
For the Spice Rub (makes about 1/4 cup):
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
For the BBQ Sauce (makes about 2 1/8 cups):
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Chilies in Adobo
- 1 14- ounce can of canned crushed Plum Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Hickory; Applewood or Oak Wood Chips (if using a gas grill soak chips for 1/2 hour before use)
- For the Spice Rub (makes about 1/4 cup): Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Make spice rub and coat chicken with rub. Best if marinated overnight.
- For the BBQ Sauce (makes about 2 1/8 cups): Make the sauce by heating all of the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes then set aside to cool.
Heat an gas grill to 425°F. Wrap wood chips in a piece of foil or on aluminum foil tray and set on one side of grill. Place chicken pieces on the other side of the grill and cook until skin is crisp, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and glaze with bbq sauce. Glaze every 10 minutes for 30 minutes. With a thermometer, check internal temperature of chicken to reach 165°F.
1. Put the dry rub on the chicken and let it sit overnight, or at least four hours in advance.
2. Baste the chicken with BBQ sauce as it cooks on the grill.
Similar categories: Dinner