Pudding Fruit Pops
Carla Hall's Sour Cherry Pudding Pops
- For the Sour Cherry Compote:
- 1 cup pitted Sour Cherries (chopped)
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
For the Pudding:
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 3 Egg Yolks (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Corn Starch
- For the Pudding: In a medium sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat and cook, undisturbed until the milk solids turn a light golden color. Remove from heat and swirl the pan gently. Add 1/3 cup sugar, cream, milk, vanilla and salt and return to the heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, remaining sugar and cornstarch until pale and doubled in volume. Once the cream mixture begins to simmer remove from heat and slowly pour 1/3 of the mixture into the eggs while whisking constantly to avoid curdling.
- Return the pot to the heat and whisk in the egg mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring the mixture up to a simmer and cook about 4 minutes, until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and pour into an 8-inch round cake pan. Place in the fridge and allow to chill for 2 hours.
- For the Sour Cherry Compote: In a small saucepot over low heat, combine the sour cherries, lemon, and water. Cook until mixture has thickened and cherries have softened, about 10 minutes. Sweeten with sugar, if needed. Allow to cool completely.
- To assemble the pops, transfer compote to a medium bowl. Fold in 1/4 of the pudding but do not incorporate, the pudding and compote should be swirled. Carefully pour mixture into small wax cups and insert popsicle sticks. Freeze until set, about 2 hours. To serve, run cups briefly under lukewarm water and slide the pops out of the cups.
Similar categories: Desserts