Make these for an easy country breakfast!
Daisy Breland's Southern Style Biscuits
- 4 cups Self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Extra flour to prevent sticking
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees for gas stoves and 350 degrees for electric stoves.
- Put the 4 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl. Push flour to one side of the bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups of shortening on the empty side of the bowl. Pour approximately half of the buttermilk in the bowl. Use a spoon to gradually and slowly start blending the flour, shortening and milk together. As you blend the ingredients together, slowly add the other half of the buttermilk.
- After all ingredients are blended, stick some of the extra flour to your hands. Use your hands to sprinkle a little extra flour in the bowl and start slowly kneading all of the dough together into one big ball. A baking pan should be set aside and greased with shortening in preparation for the biscuits. Once you have it in one big ball, start picking pieces from the ball with your hands and shape them into the shape/size desired for your biscuits.
- Place each biscuit one by one in the pan. Use the back of your hand to push down gently on each biscuit as you place them in the pan. Be sure to keep extra flour on your hands at all times to stop the dough from sticking or breaking.
- Cook biscuits until medium brown, about 15-20 minutes.