Simple and delicious!
Mario Batali's Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound spaghettini
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus extra for serving
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano
- kosher salt
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a large pot and add 3 tablespoons kosher salt.
- Meanwhile, set another large pot over medium heat, add the pepper, and toast, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the oil and butter and stir occasionally until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat.
- Drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook until just al dente. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the oil and butter mixture, then add the pasta and stir and toss over medium heat until the pasta is well coated. Stir in the cheeses, add a splash or two more of the reserved pasta water if necessary to loosen the sauce) and serve immediately, with additional grated Parmigiano on the table.