A perfect soup for fall.
Daphne Oz and Carla Hall's Spiced Butternut Squash Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Yellow Onions (chopped)
- 3 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 Teaspoon Fresh Ginger (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 3 (15 oz can) Butternut Squash puree
- 5 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Grilled Cheese Croutons:
- 16 Whole Wheat Bread (slices)
- 16 Aged Cheddar Cheese (slices)
- Roasted Cauliflower
- 1/4 4 Tablespoons Butter Salt and Pepper to taste Roasted Cauliflower: 4 Tablespoons Butter Salt and Pepper to taste Roasted Cauliflower: Cup Good Quality Mango Chutney 4 Tablespoons Butter Salt and Pepper to taste Roasted Cauliflower:
- 1/2 Cauliflower head (sliced 1/4 in pieces)
- 3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- For the Roasted Cauliflower: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Evenly spread cauliflower on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with red pepper flake, salt & pepper. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden and crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and sweat gently, making sure not to brown. Stir in the spices and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the butternut squash and stir to incorporate. Then add the stock and bring up to a simmer. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, until the soup is a creamy consistency.
- Work in batches and carefully blend the soup into a silky consistency. Return to the pot and bring back up to a simmer. Turn the heat off and stir in the cream and sugar, and season with salt and pepper. Serve the hot soup with crunchy grilled cheese croutons.
- For the Grilled Cheese Croutons: Sandwich two slices of cheddar cheese, cauliflower and mango chutney between bread. Melt butter in a hot skillet or cast iron griddle.
- Place sandwiches in hot skillet and cook until golden and crispy on one side. Flip and then place a heavy pan or skillet on top to press sandwiches while crisping the second side. Once golden remove from heat and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.