Carla Hall's Spiced Dulce de Leche Sandwiches
- 1 pound Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 2 teaspoons Orange Zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Marcona Almonds (ground)
- 4 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground Cardamom
For the Spiced Dulce de Leche:
- 1 1/4 cups Dulce de Leche
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground Cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, beat together the first six ingredients until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, marcona almonds, cardamom and salt. Add the flour to the butter mixture and blend just until combined, some streaks of flour may be visible. Shape into a disc and wrap with plastic. Chill for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use a ruler or long straight edge to mark a grid pattern in the dough to form 1 inch squares. Cut the dough along the lines and transfers squares to a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until pale and slightly soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer the spiced dulce de leche to a piping bag or zip top bag. Cut a small hole in the corner or the bag. Pipe about a teaspoon or two of filling onto half of the cookies. Top filled cookies with shortbread. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the Spiced Dulce de Leche: Stir together the ingredients in a bowl until spices are evenly distributed. Adjust seasoning to taste.