Simple and delicious. See for yourself!
Clinton Kelly's Spiced Pumpkin Soup with Curried Creme Fraiche
- For the Pumpkin Soup:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flake
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 (15 oz) cans pumpkin or 6 cups chopped roasted sugar pumpkin
- 5 cup chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the Curried Creme Fraiche:
- 1 cup creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- large pinch salt
- For the Pumpkin Soup: Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sweat gently, making sure not to brown. Stir in the spices and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the pumpkin and stir to incorporate. Then add the stock and bring up to a simmer. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, until the soup is a creamy consistency.
- Work in batches and carefully blend the soup into a silky consistency. Return to the pot and bring back up to a simmer. Turn the heat off and stir in the cream and sugar, and season with salt. If a little too spicy, add more cream or a touch of milk to mellow the flavor.
- For the Curried Creme Fraiche: Then stir in the curry powder, sugar and salt into the creme fraiche.
- Serve the hot soup with a dollop of the cold creme fraiche for a nice temperature contrast.