The combination of whole and crushed black beans helps the burger stay together.
Spicy Black Bean Burger with Chipotle Mayo
- 1 cup Black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup Black beans (pulsed)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 scallions (fine chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- hot sauce (several dashes)
- 2 teaspoons salsa
- 1 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
For the Chipotle Mayo
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 chipotle in adobo (minced)
- 1/4 lime (juice)
- lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (chopped)
- caramelized onions
- pea shoots
- ciabatta rolls
- For Burger: Combine beans, scallions, garlic, egg, spices, hot sauce, sauce, salsa and bread crumbs. Mix together well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Form burger patties out of mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a pan or grill pan over medium heat and then grill patties on one side until crisp, flip the patty and then top with pepper jack. Cook until crisp and cheese has melted.
- Top burger patties with chipotle mayo, caramelized onions, and pea shoots. Serve on a toasted ciabatta roll.
- For the Chipotle Mayo: Combine mayo, chives, chipotle in adobo, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Combining pulsed black beans with whole ones gives the veggie patty more texture and helps it bind together.
- Make the black bean patties in advance and freeze them for a quick weeknight dinner.