This sweet and savory salad is the perfect compliment to a hearty meat dish.
Spicy Cucumber and Pineapple Salad
- 2/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups bite-sized chunks of fresh pineapple
- 1 hothouse cucumber (peeled/halved lengthwise/seeded and sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper (cut into matchsticks)
- 2 shallots (sliced paper-thin)
- 1/2 jalapeno chile (to taste - seeded and finely diced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the vinegar, 1/2 cup water, the sugar and salt in a saucepan over high heat until the sugar and salt dissolve. Cool the mixture to room temperature and then stir in the lemon zest.
- Combine the pineapple, cucumber, bell pepper, shallots, jalapeno, and cilantro in a plastic storage container with a lid and pour the dressing over. Add the sesame seeds and toss to coat. Marinate, refrigerated, for at least 1 hour for the flavors to blend, or up to 4. Serve cold or at room temperature with a slotted spoon.