Warm up with a bowl of this spiced broth with lush chunks of andouille sausage, chicken, and brisket..
- step-by-step directions
- 1 1/2 pounds Chicken Wings
- 1 pound Brisket (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound spicy smoked Andouille Sausage (cut into 1/2-inch rounds)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 medium Onions (finely chopped)
- 4 Scallions (sliced; whites and greens separated)
- 2 Celery Stalks (finely chopped)
- 2 cups Okra (sliced 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 Green Bell Peppers (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Thyme (leaves picked)
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 teaspoons Dried Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce (Louisiana style)
- Filé Powder
- Season the chicken and brisket liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, add the oil and heat over high heat. Toss in the sausage and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the sausage is slightly browned. Remove from the pot to a plate.
- Sear the chicken wings, browning each side until deep golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Work in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan. Remove the wings from the pot and sear the brisket cubes, about 3 to 4 minutes per side until everything is deep golden brown.
- Remove the brisket from the pan, turn the heat down to low, and whisk in the flour. Whisk frequently until the roux is the color of chocolate, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the onions, the white parts of the scallions, celery, okra, bell peppers and garlic. Add the cayenne pepper, thyme, dried oregano, dried onion powder, paprika, and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in the broth. Add the bay leaves, chicken, brisket and sausage. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming the fat from the surface often.
- Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning (more salt, hot sauce, cayenne, etc.) Serve gumbo over rice and sprinkle with filé. Garnish with the dark-green parts of the scallions.
Similar categories: Ingredients Fish & Seafood Shrimp Courses & Meals Dinner Soups & Stews Cuisine Southern
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami