Fried Sausage Bites
Clinton Kelly's Spicy Italian Sausage Arancini
- For the Arancini:
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Spicy Italian Sausage (removed from casing)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Shallots (finely minced)
- 1 cup Arborio or Carnaroli Rice
- 3 cups Chicken Stock (hot)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Regiano
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs (for frying)
For the Dipping Sauce:
- For the Arancini: In a medium-sized Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the sausage, season with salt and pepper, and break up into small bits. Cook until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add the shallots and season with salt. Cook for 2 minutes then add the rice. Toast the rice, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring and adding liquid each time the level drops to almost dry. The rice should take about 20 to 25 minutes. Add more water if the rice seems like it needs more time (you want to cook the rice until there is no bite left in the grain, unlike risotto).
- Once the rice is completely cooked through, stir in the sausage, butter and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Take the pot off the heat and stir in the Parmigiano. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Pour the risotto into a casserole dish and allow to cool completely (this can be done a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator, covered with plastic).
- Pour vegetable oil into a Dutch oven and heat until the temperature reaches 375 degrees F.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a spoon, scoop out the risotto and form into 1 inch balls. Have a bowl of water handy so you can dip your hands so the rice won't stick.
- Put the bread crumbs in a bowl or casserole dish. After all the balls are rolled, toss the rice balls in the bread crumbs.
- Working in batches, fry the rice balls until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate and season immediately with salt.
- For the Dipping Sauce: Serve with the tomato sauce.
Similar categories: Appetizers, Starters & Snacks