A dish inspired by Mario's Seattle roots.
Mario Batali's Spicy Linguine with Crab
- 1 Lb linguine
- 1/2 teaspoon minced red habanero chiles
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped roasted cipollini onions
- 1 Lb fresh lump crabmeat (picked over for cartilage)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 3 teaspoon diced seeded jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) minced fresh cilantro
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt, and cook the pasta until it is tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. Put a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the habanero, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and the onions, stirring frequently. Add 3 tablespoons of the pasta water, stir, and add the rest of the olive oil. Add the crabmeat, season with salt and pepper, stir, then immediately remove the pan from the heat. Add the jalapeno and stir.
- Drain the pasta, reserving about a cup of the pasta water, and toss it with the crab sauce. (If the mixture is dry, add a little more of the pasta water.) Add the cilantro, toss again, drizzle with olive oil and serve.