Try making a batch of this NYC specialty at home.
Spicy Pork Meatballs
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 pounds Pork Shoulder (ground)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 jarred Hot Cherry Peppers (minced)
- 1/4 cup Hot Cherry Pepper Pickling Liquid
- 4 slices fresh White Bread (minced)
- 3 large Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Drizzle the olive oil into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
- Combine the ground pork, salt, cherry peppers, pickling liquid, bread, and eggs in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- Roll the mixture into round, golf ball-size meatballs (around 1 1/2 inches), making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
- Roast for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball should read 165 degrees F.
- Allow the meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving.