This dish has it all - it's savory, it's spicy and it's drenched in beer!
Chinese 5-Spice Beer Can Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (3-4-pounds,patted dry)
- 1/4 cup Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 can beer (opened)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chinese pancakes (store-bought)
- Hoisin sauce (store-bought,to serve)
Warm Cabbage Salad:
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced or grated)
- 2 cloves garlic(minced or grated)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 cup snow peas (sliced)
- 3 carrots (julienned)
- 1 small head Napa cabbage (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- extra-virgin olive oisalt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a grill to medium heat, about 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of salt with the Chinese 5-spice powder. Set aside.
- Rub the chicken all over with extra-virgin olive oil, inside and out. Then, rub the chicken all over with the spice mixture. Empty about an inch of the beer from the can.
- Insert beer can into chicken cavity, so that the chicken is free standing.
- Place chicken onto grill, and close lid. Grill for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until internal temperature of chicken measures 155ºF.
- For the Warm Cabbage Salad: In a skillet over medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the toasted sesame oil, cabbage, snow peas, and carrots. Toss, cooking until the mixture is just softened. Add the scallions and bean sprouts and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve the chicken with warm cabbage salad, pancakes and Hoisin sauce on the side.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry BBQ Chicken Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Techniques BBQ & Grilling Grilled Chicken