Spicy and delicious!
Daphne and Carla's 5-Spice Rubbed Beer Can Chicken
- For the Chicken:
- 1 3-4- pound Whole Chicken (rinsed and patted dry)
- 1/4 cup Chinese 5 Spice Powder
- 1 can Beer (opened)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Chinese Pancakes
- Hoisin Sauce (to serve)
For the Salad:
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (minced)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 small Onion (sliced)
- 1 cup Snow Peas (sliced)
- 3 Carrots (julienned)
- 1 small head Napa Cabbage (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 bunch Scallions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Bean sprouts
- For the Chicken: Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Mix 2 salt teaspoons into the 5 spice powder.
- Rub the chicken all over with extra virgin olive oil, inside and out, and then repeat using the salt and chinese 5 spice powder. Empty or drink an inch of the beer inside the can, and then insert beer can into chicken cavity, so that the chicken is free standing. Place chicken onto grill, and close lid. Grill for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until internal temperature of chicken measures 155F.
- For the Salad: In a skillet over medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil and then add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until garlic is fragrant, and then add the toasted sesame oil, cabbage, snow peas, and carrots. Toss, cooking until the mixture is just softened. Finish with the scallions and bean sprouts and transfer to a platter.
- Serve the chicken with pancakes and hoisin sauce.