Sausage Burgers with Basil Mustard and Cherry Pepper Relish
Mario Batali's Spicy Sausage Provolone Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds Spicy Italian Sausage (casing removed)
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef (80/20 blend)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Fennel Seeds (toasted and ground)
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese
- Salt to taste
- 6 Hamburger Size Potato Rolls
For the Basil Mustard:
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Basil Leaves (sliced)
For the Sweetened Cherry Pepper Relish:
- 1 cup Pickled Cherry Peppers (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium high.
- Working with your hands, mix the meats, ground fennel seeds and Worcestershire in a large bowl. Make sure not to over work the mixture. Wet your hands slightly and form 6 equal size burger patties. Season with some additional salt.
- Place patties in the preheated skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on the first side. Work in batches to avoid over crowding the pan. The burger should release from the pan and be golden before flipping. Once flipped cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then top with a slice of provolone cheese.
- Once cooked and the cheese has melted, remove to a plate and tent with aluminum foil until ready to build the burger.
- Toast the buns in the pan dripping from the burgers. Spread some Basil Mustard on the bun, add a burger patty and top with the Sweetened Cherry Pepper Relish.
- For the Basil Mustard: Stir the ingredients together in a medium bowl until well combined. Adjust seasoning to taste. This can be made a few days in advance and stored in the fridge.
- For the Sweetened Cherry Pepper Relish: Combine the ingredients in a bowl and season with a pinch of salt, making sure the peppers are coated in the maple syrup. Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving. This can be made a few days in advance and stored in the fridge.