Linda Nguyen's Spicy Vegetable Lasagna
- 1 box oven-ready Lasagna Noodles
- 15 ounces Ricotta Cheese (whole milk)
- 4 cups Mozzarella cheese (whole milk)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 2 26- ounce Tomato Sauce (recipe below)
- 2 Zucchini (sliced on bias)
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (plus more for garnish)
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1 Onion (sliced thin)
- 3 Bell Peppers (sliced)
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- 8 ounces sliced Cremini or White Button Mushrooms
- 2 26- ounce store bought Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- fresh Basil
- Preheat oven to 350º. In a medium size bowl, add the ricotta, two eggs, parsley, half of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Mix well.
- Cover the bottom of a 13 x 9” baking dish with sauce. Place noodles on the bottom. Spoon ricotta mixture liberally on the noodles. Ladle a cup or sauce then shingle zucchini on top. Repeat layering, this time laying single layer of raw zucchini on top of ricotta mixture then sauce then noodles- end with tomato sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan and / or mozzarella cheese on top. Cover tightly with foil; cook 55 to 60 minutes until noodles are soft when pierced. Allow to cool before cutting.
- For the Tomato Sauce: Sauté onions, peppers and garlic. Add mushrooms and sauté until vegetables are soft. Sprinkle on red pepper flakes to taste (2 to 3 tablespoons, closer to 3 or 4 for me). Add tomato sauce. Add, salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Add torn basil and heat through for approximately 15 minutes.