Spooky Short Ribs
The scariest part about these ribs is how delicious they are.
- step-by-step directions
Spooky Short Ribs
- 7 pounds beef short ribs (bone in)
- 1/2 pound slab bacon (cut into large dice)
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 medium parsnips (peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium yellow onion (large diced)
- 5 garlic cloves (smashed and peeled)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 (12 ounce) bottles of wheat beer
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 quart water
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves (torn)
- 2 lemons (zested)
- kosher salt
- Season the short ribs liberally with kosher salt.
- Let the ribs come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until slightly crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside, leaving the drippings in the Dutch oven. Dry the short ribs with paper towels and begin to brown in the bacon fat, approximately 2 minutes per side. Work in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan. When browned on all sides, remove the short ribs from the pot and set aside.
- Add to the pot the carrots, onion, garlic, parsnips and a pinch of salt and cook until the vegetables begin to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add the coriander seeds and bay leaves and cook for another minute. Deglaze the pot with the beer and apple cider, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. This gives the dish more depth and richness. Add the thyme and bring to a simmer.
- Return the short ribs to the pot along with the cooked bacon and enough water to cover the meat. The braising liquid will reduce considerably while in the oven. Cover the pot and put in the oven. Cook until the meat is tender, 3 to 4 hours, basting every hour. Remove from the oven and skim off the excess fat.
- Carefully move the short ribs to a large platter. Spoon the vegetables and sauce on top, discard the bay leaves and thyme, and garnish with the mint and lemon zest.
The Garibaldi Wallbanger
Swiss Chard and Ricotta Bruschetta
Lobster Roll and Quick-Pickled Cucumber Salad
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Pork with Gingered Plums
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice