Spoq au Vin
This recipe was a favorite of Julia Child and soon it will be one of yours too. Enjoy
- step-by-step directions
Spoq au Vin
- 1/2 pound Thick Sliced Bacon (cut into lardons)
- 2 cup Frozen Pearl Onions
- 4 cup Crimini Mushrooms, halved
- 6 Chicken Thighs (bone-in and skin-on)
- 1 cup Flour plus 2 tablespoons
- Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 6 cloves Garlic (peeled and smashed)
- 12 sprigs Thyme
- 2 cup Red Wine
- 3 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the bacon and cook until it’s crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Next add the onions to the pan and cook for a few minutes in the bacon fat until they slightly caramelize. Season them with some freshly ground black pepper. Add the mushrooms to the pan next in an even layer.
- Place that same pan over medium high heat and add 3 teaspoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken skin side down. After the chicken has browned on one side, flip it over to brown the other side, also adding the garlic cloves and thyme. When all of the chicken is evenly browned, remove it to a plate, then drain any fat left in the pan, leaving the thyme and garlic in the pan.
- Add the 2 tablespoon of flour and mix into juices. Add the red wine and bring it to a boil. Then add the chicken stock. At this point, remove the garlic cloves and thyme and discard. Place the chicken back into the liquid and pour the onions, mushrooms and bacon on top. Stir in the butter, and reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn off the heat, then sprinkle the parsley on top and serve with your favorite accompaniment.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Chicken Breast Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Cuisine French
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs