A specialty of Spring, ramps are a wild onion with a heavy garlic-like flavor.
Mario Batali's Spring Tortelloni with Ramps
- 1 medium Onion (diced)
- 3 bunches fresh Ramps (chopped)
- 1 fresh Pasta Dough
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- For the Spicy Shrimp Marinara:
- 2 Jalapenos (thinly sliced)
- 2 Garlic cloves (sliced)
- 28 ounces whole San Marzano Tomatoes (crushed)
- 1/2 pound Pink Shrimp (40-50 ct)
- 2 cups Basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Chili Flake
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high. Add the onions and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft and just beginning to brown. Add the ramps and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes or until ramps are soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Roll out pasta down to 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut into 4 inch squares. Place 1 tablespoon of the ramp mixture into the center of each square, wet the edges with water, and fold the opposite corners together to form a triangle. Press the edges together firmly to seal. Bring the points of the long side of the triangle together, forming a ring (or a hat) and seal between your fingers. Continue filling and shaping tortelloni until all the filling is used.
- Lay tortelloni in a single layer on a baking sheet dusted with semolina. Cover lightly with a damp cloth towel and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Season generously with salt, so it tastes like the ocean. Add the tortelloni and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain the pasta, reserving a cup of pasta water.
- For the Spicy Shrimp Marinara: While the pasta is cooking, heat a large saute pan over medium-high. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic and jalapenos and saute for 2 to 3 minutes to caramelize.
- Stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add the chili flake and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to meld the flavors and reduce the tomato mixture slightly. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the tortelloni to the shrimp marinara and loosen sauce with reserved pasta water if necessary. Toss in the basil. Serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Pasta Fish & Seafood Shrimp Courses & Meals Dinner Pizza & Pasta Cuisine Italian