This seasonal vegetable dish is simply delightful. Enjoy it for lunch, dinner or even just a snack.
Spring Vegetable Scafata
- 2 small Lemons (halved)
- 15 Baby Artichokes
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 pound Fresh Peas (shelled)
- 1 teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 4 bunches Scallions (root ends trimmed and whites and greens cut into 2 inch pieces)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Fresh Mint Leaves
- Fill a large bowl with water, and squeeze the lemon halves into it to make acidulated water.
- Remove and discard the tough outer leaves of the artichokes, and trim the stems. Then cut the artichokes in half. As you work, submerge the halved artichokes in the acidulated water.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat until smoking, add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, wine, 1 cup hot water, the peas and the drained artichokes. Cover, and cook until the artichokes are just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the scallions, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the scallions are wilted and soft, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Tear the mint leaves into pieces and sprinkle them over the scafata. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice. Serve either warm or at room temperature.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Vegetable Appetizers Dinner Vegetarian Lunch Lunch Salads Cuisine Italian Other Side Dishes