Great for breakfast and dinner!
Mario Batali's Squash Blossom Frittata
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 8 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Cacio di Roma or other Sheep's Milk Cheese
- 1/4 cup Freshly Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 12 Zucchini Blossoms
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup grate parmesan (for dredging)
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in a 9-inch nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs to blend. Add 8 zucchini blossoms, cheese, salt and pepper to taste and mix well to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and cook until the bottom has set, about 5 minutes. Transfer to oven underneath the broiler, and cook until just set, about 2 minutes more, and serve hot.
- For Fried Squash Blossoms: In a large dutch oven heat 1/2 inch oil to 350F. In a shallow dish add egg whites. In a second shallow dish add grated parmesan. Dip each of the remaining blossom in egg whites and then dredge in parmesan. Fry blossoms until crisps, 1-2 minutes.