A simply delicious homemade sauce!
Daphne Oz's Staten Island Special Sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
- ½ white onion (chopped)
- ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ bunch basil leaves
- ¼ cup white wine
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ pound Spelt or Whole Wheat pasta (to serve)
- Heat olive oil in sauté pan on low heat. Add onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper, stirring occasionally. Saute until onions are softened and garlic is slightly golden.
- In a large pot, squeeze peeled tomatoes through hands. Add crushed tomatoes, garlic, onion and basil. Bring to a medium heat and stir together.
- Add white wine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer sauce for 90 minutes.
- Add butter and sugar and stir. (more basil can also be added here if desired).
- Cook uncovered on low for 30 more minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve over pasta, cooked according to package directions.